A Textile Traveler's Guide to Guatemala
A Textile Traveler’s Guide to Guatemala by Deborah Chandler. Photography by Joe Coca.
Handmade textiles are central to the cultural wealth of Guatemala. Through textiles, you can gain insights into the history, traditions, and daily lifestyle of the Maya people of the highlands. A Textile Traveler’s Guide to Guatemala will:
- Lead you to the best native markets.
- Show you how to distinguish handmade from factory-made.
- Help you understand how cloth is spun, woven, dyed, embroidered, and more.
- Take you to interesting and little-known byways.
- Offer advice on safe travel, places to stay, places to dine, ethical shopping.
What are you waiting for? Be a well-informed traveler and revel in the colorful, vibrant, ever-changing world of Guatemalan textiles!
Handmade by Friendship Bridge
We provide skills, learning experiences, education, and technical assistance that will empower artisan entrepreneurs of Friendship Bridge to reach their potential to sell independently in new local, national, and international markets.